Thursday, April 23, 2015

Todd Rundgren: A Second Night in Amsterdam

The track list with lyrics for the show at http://www.keezer.nl/trmo/2012.html is...

1 Mary & The Holy Ghost


(largely instrumental)



You got a boy child comin'

Gonna be a sonofagun

2 Another Life



Well, I could be wrong
But I swear that I knew you
In another life

And I could be dreaming but I swear
That I knew you in another life

Something happened just the other night;
I had a vision in the middle of a daydream
In a place I'd never been before
I couldn't tell if I was still awake or sleeping

I saw so many things I barely recognized
I thought that I was lost but then I saw you

I could be wrong, but I swear
That I knew you in another life
And I could be dreaming, but I swear
That I knew you in another life

Certain things affect me certain ways
And this isn't just the first time
That it's crossed my mind

Something happens and the crystal clears
And you begin to recognize all of the little signs
I wish that I could place every little gesture
But it really doesn't matter 'cause we'll never know

3 Hello It's Me



Hello, it's me
I've thought about us for a long, long time
Maybe I think too much but something's wrong
There's something here that doesn't last too long
Maybe I shouldn't think of you as mine

Seeing you
Or seeing anything as much as I do you
I take for granted that you're always there
I take for granted that you just don't care
Sometimes I can't help seeing all the way through

It's important to me
That you know you are free
'Cause I never want to make you change for me

Think of me
You know that I'd be with you if I could
I'll come around to see you once in a while
Or if I ever need a reason to smile
And spend the night if you think I should

It's important to me
That you know you are free
'Cause I never want to make you change for me

Think of me
You know that I'd be with you if I could
I'll come around to see you once in a while
Or if I ever need a reason to smile
And spend the night if you think I should

Think of me
Think of me
Think of me

4 Pretending To Care 



Today I am your chariot horse

Tomorrow I'm your albatross
Suspended by the finest thread
No one could ever see
And when there's breathing in your ear
You put your faith in all you hear
But just how deep those feelings go
I have no way to know
I'll never know

If I was blind
Would you still be my eyes
Or hide everything you see
Pretending to care about me

When all the time
You're just wishing I'd fade away
You just can't bring yourself to

Say out loud the reasons why
You won't admit you realize
The promise you've been living by
Is just an empty shell
You'll come to bear it like a cross
Then start to tear it like frayed gauze
Though I'm ashamed to be afraid
I just can't help myself
Can't help myself

5 Property



I'll be your fantasy, but I won't be your property

Love you eternally, but I'll never be your property
Love from me's not guaranteed
Just because you think I'm property

I can love you totally and still not be your property
Every girl and boy wants to grow up to be loved someday
And you can't wait to give your heart away
But it's like worship in their eyes walking down the aisle

When you slip on that ring, they start to treat you like a thing, yeah
I call it slavery when you call someone your property
Don't waste your vanity, I will never be your property
Something wonderful happens when people fall in love

Your happiness is all they're thinking of
But it's like "anything you say" 'til the wedding day
When they get it in ink, they start to tell you what to think, yeah
Darkest day in history when someone invented property

'Cause of our misery is the constant lust for property
Since god began it, we've been dividing up the planet
When you see something you want it
You've got to put your name tag on it

And we go on carving, meanwhile half the world is starving
It's a crime [?] hands off what is mine!
Take all you can 'til you slam on the parking brake
And you need space to make your own mistakes

But it's like "I won't hold you back" 'til the bags are packed
Then they're struttin' about like they own you inside out
I call it slavery (you can't make me a slave),
When you call someone your property

Don't waste your vanity (don't be so vain),
I will never be your property
Darkest day in history (why did you have to do a thing like that)
When someone invented property

'Cause of our misery (misery, misery)
Is the constant lust for property

6 Frogs


they will hide in every crevice, in any urn or keg
if you stand still for a second, they’ll be crawling up your leg
and the stench that develops can leave you agog
for the air is foul with droppings, and the streets are soaked with gore
as they’re tossed from open windows on the 3rd and 2nd floor
and what is the sound of a plummeting frog
its a sickening flap like a rock in a bog

they scare the pets and clog the drain
the cow licked one and went insane
those friggin frogs those fraggin frogs
those friggin fraggin friggin fraggin

frogs in every shape and size
they stare with (nick detaining)? eyes
They croak their mindless smog alarms those frigging frogs
if I offend them please forgive my liberal use of expletives
those frigging frogs FROGS

there goes another toadie spraying entrails on your boots
as they’re crowded of the rooftops by a wave of new recruits
to call it a plague isn't nearly enough
I've heard all the explanations and I've done what they suggest
but the changes to my lifestyle are unbearable at best
I have gnawed on your legs till I long to throw up
when I comfort my wife they abruptly disrupt
the racket never seems to stop
do they ever rest apparently not
those friggin frogs those fraggon frogs
they frig they frag they frig they frag

despite the hype the fact remains we're drowning in amphibians
it's not just pouring cats or dogs it’s raining frogs
it's plain to see we've reached the state
where one cannot exaggerate it’s raining frogs

frogs in every shape and size
they stare with (nick detaining)? eyes
They croak their mindless smog alarms those friggin frogs
if I offend them please forgive my liberal use of expletives
those friggin frogs

for nearly a fortnight I've gone without sleep
while eternally blissful they bellow and peep
then climb on each other and mate while they hop
the result is a slimy gelatinous glob

the cistern and the watering holes are swarmed with slithery tadilipoles
those friggin fraggin friggin fraggin friggin fraggin friggin fraggin friggin fraggin friggin fraggin

frogs in every shape and size
they stare with (nick detaining)? eyes
They croak their mindless smog alarms those friggin frogs
if I offend them please forgive my liberal use of expletives
those friggin frogs

despite the hype the fact remains we're drowning in amphibians
it's not just pouring cats or dogs its raining frogs
it's plain to see we've reached the state
where one cannot exaggerate it’s raining frogs FROGS


(Thanks, hugely to Mark B. at http://mytechknows.com/Todd_Rundgren_Frogs_Lyrics.html)

7 Second Wind


Old rocking chair

It beckons you like a junkie's needle
Start thinking feeble
Cowardly lion
The special today is karma yoga
Glued to the sofa

Where was I when we lost power?
Where was I when lies were spoken?
Where was I when evil snuck in?
Where was I when hope was choking?

A spy in the house
Someday one of the kids may catch us cussing
Then turn us in
Family ties
They used to be colors in a rainbow
Now we fly solo

Give me back the passion flower
Give me back the nonconsumer
Give me back my lack of reason
Give me back my sense of humor

Blow like cyclone my second wind
Blow like typhoon my second wind
Blow like tempest my second wind

Blind by design
I've gotten the hang of not resisting
Who cares who's listening?
Popular press
And we've got the video and the movies
Let's feed the zombies

Now that I know what to fight for
Now that I need more adventure
Now that I have thoughtful patience
Now that I can see the future

Put your hours in and take your pay
Like there wasn't any other way
Then I heard a voice inside me say
It was twenty years ago today
When did I get so tired?
Did I wake up half-sleeping?
I can't let life slip away
To a world with no meaning


8 Flamingo


(instrumental only)

9 If I Have To Be Alone



If I have to be alone

Then I should make my mind serene
After all you're born alone, you die alone
You might as well spend every moment in between alone

But if I have to be alone
Then it will be on my own terms
I can never talk about it, ever show it
Even though the world is watching while I squirm alone

And your bleeding heart friends say, "isn't it sad?"
Then they go make love
While you go insane. insane!
It drives you mad! mad!

My mind, I love my mind
And if no one can feel the same
I'm a computer with a name
And I've got no one else to blame
If I have to be alone

And if nobody understands
That special creature that is me
And if they fail to see the me I see
Then no one else knows truly what it is
To be alone

Maybe once in a lifetime you lose your will
Then you can let down your guard
But they cower in fear. in fear.
It makes you ill! ill!

My heart, my burning heart
And if no one will quench the flame
I'm not obliged to do the same
And then they'll have to share the blame
Because I have to be alone
Because I have to be alone
But I don't want to be alone

10 Love In Disguise



Sometimes things fall apart

That's god's love in disguise
And when I break your heart
That's my love in disguise

When you awake in pain
It should come as no surprise
I'm not sure I care
But it still must be there
My love in disguise
And all you want are sweet lies

I see my problem now
Her love was in disguise
Some fear that won't allow
Her love to shed this guise

Ian, don't be a fool
Look what she's done
She'll do it again

Pale, pure, and virgin things
So frail, it turns from my eyes
It hides while I become
So hurt my heart is numb
When love is in disguise

The best you have is sweet lies

Ian she'll be our downfall
Don't believe your eyes
Lies! and she'll leave you all alone

Possessiveness and jealousy
We recognize easily
That which we claim to prize
No one can recognize

The poor young sap is unaware of
Things that we are all aware of
The knife she hides behind her back
Misery! he gets his share of

The flowers must pollinate
The beasts are forced to mate
Woman and man decide
Yet we're not satisfied
God's love is in disguise
And all we want are sweet lies
Sweet lies

11 The Wailing Wall


There's a grand old maid across the sea

So the story was recalled to me
And from dawn 'til dark, you hear her call
Down in front of the Wailing Wall
And she cries all day, so sad and alone
'Til someone comes along and leads her home

Nobody listens, and nobody seems to care
But everyday, you'll find them there and
Kneeling down for sadness sake
Crying just as though their hearts would break
And from dawn 'til dark, you hear them call
Down in front of the Wailing Wall
And they cry all day, so sad and alone
'Til someone comes along and leads them home

You know I don't listen, and you know that I don't care
But everyday you'll find me there and
Kneeling down for sadness sake
Crying just as though my heart would break
And from dawn 'til dark, you'll hear me call
Down in front of the Wailing Wall

12 Love Science



I've been around the world, I'm going around again

I got a new word up, gonna lay it on my friends
I'm still too young, I've got these emotions in my blood
But when I grow up, gonna be a scientist of love

Working on, love science
Got to know, love science
Show the world, love science
How to be a scientist of love
Tell my friends, love science
Take a chance, love science
Give it up, love science
I'm a scientist of love
Feel the power, love science
Study hard, love science
Know the truth, love science
Be a scientist of love
Choose a plan, love science
Pick 'em up, put 'em down, love science
Bring it on home, love science
Got to be a scientist of love

Hey you!

Sometimes you get screwed up, and you're looking for a cure
But you don't want to see just another amateur
I know the kind of expert you must be thinking of
Go out and find yourself a scientist of love

Some say that love's a game, a random circumstance
I'm not the type to leave that kind of thing to chance
You might sit back and wait, but I'm taking off the gloves
I'm gonna crack this case like a scientist of love

1, 2, 3!

If love's what we want, if love's what we need
Why can't we make love from suspicion and greed?
If love's what we want, if love's what we need
Why can't we make love?

I've got no time to waste just waiting for the bus
This is the place, the space to get down and serious
School is in, the lab is open for research
I do declare that love is a walking, talking church
I've got to quell the beast, be a credit to my sex
I've got to give at least as much as I expect
Can't get no rest 'til I discover what I need
Gotta start somewhere, that why I believe, believe, believe

Believe the word, love science
Party down, love science
Thinking hard, love science
How to be a scientist of love
Place to place, love science
Hour to hour, love science
Can't hold back, love science
Got to be a scientist of love
Sexy girl, love science
Manish boy, love science
Take the course, love science
And be a scientist of love
In your face, love science
Outer space, love science
Here's a taste, love science
Got to be a scientist of love

If love's what we want, if love's what we need
Why can't we make love in a love factory?
If love's what we want, if love's what we need
Why can't we make love?

13 Mammon



O Holy Father

Divine Provider
Grant me my prayer
All I desire

It's been a long, long time since you faced the truth
You haven't heard the voice of god since your wasted youth
Faith of your father, holy faith
In the dollar almighty and the tithing plate

And you'd like to rub my face in it
Your god, your god
And you'd like to rub my face in it
Your god, your god, your god is Mammon

Pew after pew in the house of the lord
Nod their heads at the sermon while they mind the store
And their holiest book is a PDA
It's got god's cell number if you find time to pray

And you'd like to rub their face in it
Your god, your god
Even though you have no faith in it
Your god is Mammon, your god is dead

And you rage and fume at the godless ones
Cause they don't understand how the company runs
And they think it's the money that you care about
You pretend to be offended when they figure it out
Tell me what kind of heaven do you think awaits
When your ass is too fat to fit the pearly gates?
It's like the eye of a needle and a limosine
Paradise is set aside for the less obscene
You only care for the power that the lucre brings
And you have no love for any living thing, save Mammon

And you'd like to rub our face in it

14 Fascist Christ


Founding fathers and mothers left us a mandate

We've got to separate the church and the state
So get your head straight before it's too late
And you drop it in the plate, you must appreciate

Jesus and money make a man speak in tongues
Scream out his lungs, roll in the dung
And when the song is sung, he moves up another rung
And the deaf and the dumb are the ones who get stung

Here comes the sex police, they're at your bedroom door
Movin' in next door, searchin' from floor to floor
You know what they're lookin' for
Someone's always keepin' score every time you dip the oar

Love isn't fun no more
Fascist christ, come to the rescue
Gimme that old time religion, here it comes
Let's get fundamental about this strange philosophy

In which god and man are enemies
In which there is no serenity unless you happen to believe
Precisely what they want you to believe, and no diversity
Come join the army and learn the noises

That drown out the others' voices and please the devil
Who rejoices when mankind has no choices
And power exploits us, and peace avoids us
Guess who to the rescue on a holy mission

To uphold the tradition of the Spanish Inquisition
And preempt your decision by forcing your confession
Now let that be a lesson
Who do you think you're messin' with?
Somebody took our god away

15 I Saw The Light



It was late last night

I was feeling something wasn't right
There was not another soul in sight
Only you, only you

So we walked along
Though I knew that there was something wrong
And a feeling hit me, oh so strong
About you

Then you gazed up at me
And the answer was plain to see
'Cause I saw the light
In your eyes, in your eyes

Though we had our fling
I just never would suspect a thing
Till that little bell began to ring
In my head, in my head

But I tried to run
Though I knew it wouldn't help me none
'Cause I couldn't ever love no one
Or so I said

'Cause my feelings for you
Were just something I never knew
Till I saw the light
In your eyes, in your eyes

But I love you best
It's not something that I say in jest
'Cause you're different, girl, from all the rest
In my eyes

And I ran out before
But I won't do it anymore
Can't you see the light in my eyes
In my eyes
In my eyes
In my eyes

16 Fade Away



The day is done, the blinds are drawn

The sound of afternoon is gone
The corner store has locked it's door
And everyone has left for home
When their sleepy little heads
Settle snug inside their beds
You and I will stay and watch the sun fade away

The balladeer, the buccaneer
The liar, the man who would be king
The cavalier, the profiteer
The one who knows only suffering
As the cannons gather rust,
All their castles turn to dust
You and I will stay and see them fade away

We are on an endless flight my friend

With no beginning and no end
I've forgotten more than I remember
Sometimes I want to hide myself away
But I know there's no escape
We must go on, go on forever
The sea will rise, mountains fall
The earth will turn itself upside down
But we have seen it all before,
We will always be around
In a hundred million years
When the planet disappears
You and I will stay
And watch the world fade away
And in a million trillion years
When the stars all disappear
You and I will stay
And watch it all fade away

17 Frogs


(see above)

18 Bag Lady



Like a fly batters itself against a window

Time and again and again it senselessly blunders
Up and down the length of West Broadway
The bag lady wanders

Fifty cents rent goes pretty far
When you live in a subway car
One stop's the same as another
Even son of Sam sees her sleeping,
She's not worth the bother

Sorrow, do they ever want to cry
Do they see us pass by
Where do they come from (simple answers)
Do they come falling,
Falling from the sky like rain
Crawling up the basement drain
Misfits and black sheep
Former brothers, friends of mothers

There is no yesterday, there is no tomorrow
There is only now and that hardly matters
No one cares about sad old ladies
With bags full of tatters

One day it gets a bit too cold
Maybe a little too wet, maybe a little too lonely
Lifelessly she lies amidst her bag world
But maybe she's only sleeping

19 We Gotta Get You A Woman



Leroy, boy, is that you?

I thought your post-hangin' days were through
Sunk-in eyes and full of sighs
Tell no lies
You get wise
I tell you now, we're gonna pull you through
There's only one thing left that we can do

We gotta get you a woman
It's like nothin' else to make you feel sure you're alive
We gotta get you a woman
We better get walkin', we're wastin' time talkin' now

Leroy, boy, you're my friend
You say how and I'll say when
Come and meet me down the street
Take a seat
It's my treat
You may not ever get this chance again
That empty feeling's just about to end

We gotta get you a woman
It's like nothin' else to make you feel sure you're alive
We gotta get you a woman
We better get walkin', we're wastin' time talkin' now

Talkin' 'bout life and what it means to you
It don't mean nothin' if it don't run through
I got one thing to say, you know it's true
You got to find some time to get this thing together, 'cause

We gotta get you a woman
It's like nothin' else to make you feel sure you're alive
We gotta get you a woman
We better get walkin', we're wastin' time talkin' now

Talkin' 'bout things about that special one
They may be stupid, but they sure are fun
I'll give it to you while we're on the run
Because we ain't got time to get this thing together, 'cause
We got to get together with a woman who has been around
One who knows better than to let you down
Let's hope there's still one left in this whole town
And that she'll take some time to get this thing together, 'cause
Get this thing together, 'cause
Get this thing together, 'cause

We gotta get you a woman
We gotta get you a woman
We gotta get you a woman
And when we're through with you
We'll get me one too

20 Can We Still Be Friends


We can't play this game anymore

But can we still be friends?
Things just can't go on like before
But can we still be friends?
We had something to learn
Now it's time for the wheel to turn
Grains of sand, one by one
Before you know it, all gone

Let's admit we made a mistake
But can we still be friends?
Heartbreak's never easy to take
But can we still be friends?
It's a strange, sad affair
Sometimes seems like we just don't care
Don't waste time feeling hurt
We've been through hell together

(La la lala la la lalala
Can we still be friends?)
Can we still get together sometime
(La la lala la la lalala
Can we still be friends?)
You know life will still go on and on and on

We awoke from our dream
Things are not always what they seem
Memories linger on
It's like a sweet, sad old song


All lyrics (c) Todd Rundgren. 

No comments:

Post a Comment